Sunday, May 5, 2013

Shellbark Hickory Tree Project: Sorting the Reference Photos

Hi Again !

On the video, I shared the process of taking reference photos for the drawing. Now it’s time to sort through them.

The first group of photos was taken during the winter months so that I would have a clear indication of the structure of the tree without the interference of the leaves.

I chose for the primary reference photos an upward view of the tree. I like this angle because I can make a dramatic statement of the strength and power of the Hickory.  My camera has a limited range and it was necessary to take two photos and combine them to get the reference I need.

Several photos concentrate on the trunk of the tree for detail of the bark.  I will return later in the spring to take future reference photos of the new foliage.

In my next post, we will begin the design of the drawing on tracing paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment